Monday, July 2, 2007

Narron has been fired


I guess Bob Castellini finally saw enough. Manager Jerry Narron was fired last night after the Reds lost to St. Louis 11-7. The Reds currently sit 16.5 games out of first place with a record of 31 - 51, which is the worst record in Major League Baseball. Pete Mackanin has been named the interim manager. Pete most recently managed the last 26 games of the 2005 season for the Pittsburgh Pirates after Lloyd McClendon was fired. Pete also managed at Triple A Nashville from 1990-1992.

I say its about time that Narron was let go. His platooning and constant poor management of the pitching staff was driving me crazy. I know that some players need time off occasionally to stay in optimum health, but you just don't sit down somebody that is carrying the team offensively in favor of a guy who is hitting below the Mendoza line. I know that the Reds' pitching staff is having a rough year, but I almost never understand what Jerry is thinking when he makes pitching changes.

Since I'm talking baseball, I'd like to acknowledge that Adam Dunn and Brandon Phillips were both deserving of being selected for the All Star Game. Both players were left off the roster, but both are having All Star seasons as far as I concerned.

No comments: