Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Like father, like son??

Let me start by saying that I don't know if there is any truth to what I am about to discuss. This was mentioned on a message board that I was reading this morning and I did some internet searches and I was able to find other websites that did mention it. But, to be fair I must state that, "just because you read something on the internet it doesn't make it true." So, what am I talking about?

You may have read a few previous posts on this blog where I have mentioned the rumors floating around Ball State that say Ronny Thompson may have planted the infamous "racist notes" in his own office. I have seen no proof that Ronny actually did this. I just blogged about what I have been hearing and reading.

Well, this morning I read a post on a message board that accused Ronny's father of basically doing the same thing when he was the head coach at Georgetown. The post said that, "John Thompson once snuck into Georgetown's basketball arena and hung a banner with the "n word" demanding that "Thompson" be fired." Apparently this was before John had resurrected the program and there was some significant grumblings from the fans and alumni demanding that Thompson be fired. The University was obviously embarrassed and reacted by removing the banner and offering John a contract extension with a pay raise. The message board post went on to state that John Thompson later admitted to placing the banner in the arena himself. Of course, John didn't admit what he had done until after he had established Georgetown as a perennial power in college basketball. If this story is true, it is just another example of how some people can get away with anything and come out smelling like a rose.

So, did Ronny try the same underhanded tactic at Ball State that his father is alleged to have perpetrated at Georgetown many years ago? The circumstances are very similar. That's all I am going to say. I am going to stop short of making any accusations.

Like father, like son? You decide.

No comments: