Friday, June 29, 2007

NFL Europa is done

The NFL has announced that it is shutting down NFL Europa after 16 seasons. Commissioner Goodell said it was a business decision in the best interests of the National Football League. NFL Europa had developed a fairly decent fan base in Germany where 5 of the 6 teams were based, but the league was apparently losing somewhere around 30 million dollars a year. Commissioner Goodell went on to say that the NFL is looking for new ways to make the league more popular worldwide. Apparently the league thinks that playing a couple of regular season games overseas every year will accomplish that goal.

I'm sorry to see NFL Europa close its doors. I have to admit that I watched the games on the NFL channel every week. I think there has to be a bigger reason behind the league folding than simply just losing 30 million dollars a season. You know that 30 million dollars isn't that much money to the NFL. I don't know what will happen with American football in Europe from this point forward, but I would love to see some investors start a new league in Germany now that the NFL has already developed a fan base there.

I just wish someone over in the NBA brain trust would put us out of our misery and kill off the WNBA. Losing NFL Europa would be worth it to me if the WNBA also went belly up. The WNBA is the worst basketball I have ever seen in my life.

No comments: