Monday, March 26, 2007

Rick Pitino

Rick Pitino acknowledged today that he has no interest in the UK basketball job. He says he is happy at Louisville and that at age 54 he is too old to leave.

Pitino refused to speculate on whether Billy Donovan would consider the UK job. Those following the Billy Donovan story know that Billy has had the opportunity several times since Tubby resigned to remove his name from the UK coaching search. Thus far, Billy has been very careful in choosing his words when asked about the UK job. He hasn't expressed an interest in the job, but he has stopped well short of saying that he is not interested.

There is a rumor that Billy has an out clause in his current contract with Florida that would allow him to leave for the UK job. I personally think he would be an idiot to leave Florida, but I have seen stranger things happen. Money talks, and I'm sure UK is going to throw a lot of money at Donovan. It is my opinion that Billy is just toying with the media in an attempt to gain a stronger footing in his negotiations with Florida for a new contract. I wouldn't be unhappy at all if Donovan accepted the UK job. I believe he would be the perfect fit for UK, and he is probably the best coach in college basketball right now. I guess we'll eventually see how this all plays out.

No comments: