Thursday, March 22, 2007

"OH HAPPY DAY!!!!"

I got home from work a little early today. It was raining outside so I decided to do 5 miles on my stationary bike and 1 mile on my treadmill. Even though it was dark and gloomy outside, I still seemed to be in a fairly good mood.

When I got off the treadmill I looked out the window and noticed that the sun had come out and I could see a rainbow forming in the sky. I then opened the window and became overwhelmed with the beautifully intoxicating smell of flowers. There were birds chirping and squirrels romping and playing in my yard. Off in the distance I heard an ice cream truck and was immediately taken back to the memories of my childhood, riding my bike and enjoying the wonderful mouthwatering taste of an orange pushup. I didn't have a care in the world and all was well in the land of milk and honey.

Well, that's not exactly what happened. In reality, I got off the treadmill and went to check my email on the computer. What I found was an urgent message telling me that Tubby Smith had resigned at the University of Kentucky and had decided to move to the University of Minnesota and ruin their basketball program up there. All the stuff I talked about in the previous paragraph were just the things that I imagined happening as I was reading the email. Then, my cell phone rang and when I answered I was met with a jubilant screaming idiot who I could hardly understand. This was one of my friends (a fellow Kentucky fan) who was so overcome with joy of the news about Tubby Smith that he was reduced to a blubbering idiot as he was trying to tell me what had happened. I went ahead and let him share his jubilation before I told him that I had already heard the GREAT news.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to dig my old University of Kentucky sweatshirt out of the closet. I think I'll put it on, pop open a bottle of my finest microbrew, and go sit on the porch swing for a little while. I'm also gonna watch the sky for that rainbow that I'm sure has to be shining over the Bluegrass State right now. Hopefully I can see it from here if I look hard enough.

No comments: