Monday, September 10, 2007

NFL week one

Here are some of my thoughts and observations from week one of the NFL season.

1) My thoughts and prayers are with Kevin Everett and his family.

2) Surprise, surprise. It appears that the New England Patriots have been caught cheating again. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

3) If the NFL wants to stop end zone celebrations they need to negotiate it into their TV contracts. Nobody will even notice if Chad Johnson puts on a tutu and twirls a baton in the end zone after a touchdown if the League forbids the networks from showing the celebrations on TV. The League should also ban the replay of touchdown celebrations during sports highlight shows, ESPN included. Out of sight and out of mind.

4) The Patriots and Colts look like the teams to beat after week one. I'm pretty sure the Patriots would have clubbed the Jets even without cheating.

5) I'm not sure the Browns will win a game this season. I wonder who they will draft to sit on the bench and hold a clipboard next season. Hmmm. I wonder who their coach will be next season. I don't think Bill Cowher will take it. My money is on Marty.

6) The Bears lost two defensive starters for the year in their first game. Mike Brown (db) and Dusty Dvoracek (nt) are out for the year. If their defense takes any more hits they might not even win the NFC North. Lord knows they can't count on Rex Grossman to carry the load. I don't know if anybody else noticed, but the Lions, Packers, and Vikings all look like they improved from last season.

7) Why the hell isn't anyone signing Byron Leftwich? I would think that Atlanta would be beating down his door. There are quite a few other teams that I think will regret not giving him a look. The Browns might as well sign Leftwich if they're not going to play Brady Quinn.

8) Joey Harrington didn't look too good for Atlanta. But, its hard to throw a pass when you are running for your life. I think Atlanta needs to work on their offensive line a little bit. The poor offensive line play might be why Atlanta isn't going after Leftwich. Byron hasn't exactly made a name for himself as an elusive quarterback.

9) The Raiders signed JaMarcus Russell yesterday. I still think this guy will turn out to be a bust in the NFL. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

10) I used to love Tiki Barber as a player. I hate him as a commentator.

11) Tony Kornheiser still isn't growing on me. I muted MNF in the first quarter again. I sure enjoyed the second MNF game last night, though. Greenie, Golic, and Ditka are much more enjoyable for me. I just wish the second game wasn't on so late.

12) Adrian Peterson sure looked good for the Vikings. I knew he would.

13) Vince Young still doesn't impress me as an NFL quarterback. I'm not saying the guy is bad, I just don't think he is as good as everyone apparently thinks he is. Vince went 11-18 for 78 yards passing with one interception against the Jags. Hardly Pro-Bowl material.

14) Did anybody else notice that the Lions hung 36 points on the Raiders? I know a lot of those points were scored late in the game, but the Raiders defense was pretty damn good last year. Maybe John Kitna knows what he is talking about. I guess we'll see soon enough. The Lions have the Vikings next week and the Bears in week 4. If they win both of those games maybe I will be a believer.

No comments: