Tuesday, September 18, 2007

McNabb Plays the Race Card

I was disappointed when I read the Donovan McNabb story on ESPN's website today.

It seems that Donovan did an interview for HBO's "Real Sports" where he claims that African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and criticism than white quarterbacks.

Let me start here by saying that I really like Donovan McNabb. I enjoy watching him play football and I thoroughly enjoy listening to him whenever he gets interviewed. But, I am going to have to disagree with Donovan on this one.

All quarterbacks, whether white or African-American, get criticized. Hell, even Peyton Manning has taken a lot of heat over the years for having "happy feet" and "not being able to win the big game." Joe Montana, Dan Marino, John Elway, and Tom Brady all have been criticized. The quarterback is the most visible player on the football field. He gets the credit when his team succeeds and he gets the blame when his team fails. Right or wrong, that is the way it has always been. Maybe Donovan should give Rex Grossman a call and get "Bad Rex's" opinion on the subject. The last time I checked, Rex was white, and he seems to take more criticism than any quarterback in the league. And Rex went to the Super Bowl last season.

I think Donovan might feel like African-American quarterbacks are being singled out for criticism right now because of the whole Michael Vick thing and because of McNabb's own current situation.

Donovan has been playing hurt for awhile and by his own admission he is probably only performing at about 75-80 %. It is obvious that he is not the same player that he was when he was healthy. I don't think Donovan is taking any more criticism than anyone else in his shoes would be taking right now given his recent performances. Plus, he plays in Philadelphia. Every athlete thats plays in Philly is under pressure from the crazy fan base and the ridiculous expectations.

I think Donovan McNabb needs to take a step back and look around the rest of the League. He isn't the only guy under pressure and being criticized right now. Joey Harrington and Eli Manning come to mind.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that African-American quarterbacks have never been judged unfairly because of the color of their skin (I firmly believe that Warren Moon never gets the credit that he deserves as one of the best quarterbacks who ever played the game). But, I think you could also easily make the argument that sometimes African-American quarterbacks might get more credit than they deserve. I'm not saying that is a true statement, but I think it holds about as much water as what Donovan McNabb just said.

This is all about perspective. The grass is always greener on the other side. etc. etc. etc.

Donovan needs to stop being so sensitive and start playing ball.

"There's no room for crying in football!"

No comments: