Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Leftwich Signs With Atlanta

I think Joey Harrington is a really nice guy, but I'm starting to think he is not an NFL quarterback. Apparently, Arthur Blank is losing confidence in Joey as well.

The Atlanta Falcons signed Byron Leftwich today to a two year, 7 million dollar contract.

I find it interesting that Atlanta signed Byron to a two year contract. The length of the contract pretty much tells me that Michael Vick will not be welcomed back in Atlanta and that the Falcons think that Leftwich has something legitimate left in his tank. I don't think the Falcons were 100% convinced that leftwich was their guy, or they would have offered a longer contract. But, I bet you they open up the checkbook again real fast if Byron delivers like I think he will.

I think this signing is a good deal for the Falcons and for Leftwich. I just hope the Falcons can fix their offensive line issues before they ask Byron to take the field in a game. Leftwich can pick apart defenses if you give him some time, but he is notoriously slow of foot in the pocket. He also has an agonizingly long delivery on his throws. He won't be any more successful than Harrington if they can't give him the time he needs.

I'm still shocked that it took this long for somebody to sign Leftwich.

No comments: