Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mike Gundy

When I was a junior in high school I missed an extra point in my school's biggest football game of the season. Our team was rated #2 in the State at the time, and we were playing our crosstown rival who was ranked #5 in the State at the time. It was in the fourth quarter when our team scored a touchdown that would have tied the game, except I missed the extra point and we went on to lose 21-20.

The next day the headline in our city newspaper stated that I "Choked." I suppose it grabbed the readers' attention, but it was pretty far from the truth. The author of the story wrote the piece like he was trying to win some Pulitzer Prize. It was full of all kinds of artistic prose and even a few metaphors here and there. I bet he stayed up late that night trying to decide which words were prettier in the context of the story.

But, he never came close to understanding what really happened that night.

What the author of the story failed to realize or mention was the fact that I played the entire game that night and I was exhausted by the fourth quarter. We had some injuries on our team so I was asked to play full time on offense and on defense that night. I also handled the kicking duties, so the only time I came off the field that night was on punts and kick returns. It was also a very warm night, so my ass was dragging by the end of the game. In addition to be being tired, we were also playing the game on artificial turf. That was the only game we played all year on artificial turf and I was wearing a pair of brand new turf shoes which I normally didn't wear during the season. I didn't have much practice kicking in those shoes. And yes, the shoes can make a difference.

The newspaper man wrote the "choke" story without ever interviewing anybody associated with our team.

I was 17 years old when I missed that kick. I was just a kid who suddenly had been labeled a "choker." The author of the story was in his 30's and had never played a game of football in his life. I know he never played football in his life because I asked him the next time he requested an interview with me. After he answered my question, I reminded him of the "choking" story and then politely declined his interview request. I think he was shocked to find out later that none of my teammates would give him an interview for the rest of the season. I don't think the newspaper man had any clue about the strength of the bond between teammates. That missed kick was never mentioned in our locker room again. That was about 20 years ago and I still consider most of those guys to be the best friends I ever had.

In case you were wondering, we met up with our crosstown rivals again later that season during the State playoffs. We beat them 27-3. The newspaper man didn't even try to get any interviews with our team after the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday, Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy lost his temper in a post game press conference. He lost his temper because of a story that had been printed in the Oklahoman newspaper that morning about a player (Bobby Reid) on the Oklahoma State football team. That story was written by Jenni Carlson, and she was present at the press conference when Coach Gundy exploded in her direction.

It seems Coach Gundy took offense to some of the things that Ms. Carlson wrote in her story about Bobby Reid losing the starting quarterback job. If you haven't read the story, click on the link above.

I haven't watched Oklahoma State play this year. I'm not familiar with Bobby Reid. But, I do think what Jenni Carlson wrote was unprofessional and bordered on just plain mean. What purpose was served by mentioning Bobby's mother "feeding him chicken"? I'm not saying it was untrue. But, I'd be willing to bet that Bobby Reid's life will never be the same as a result of what Ms. Carlson wrote.

I'd also be willing to bet that Jenni Carlson never played a game of football in her life. She probably knows nothing about a Cover 2 defense or a Zone Blitz. She probably has no idea what kind of pressure is involved with being a starting quarterback on a Big 12 football team. I bet she attacked Bobby Reid as a person because she didn't know enough about football to criticize the way he plays the game. That's as much an indictment of the Oklahoman newspaper as it is an indictment of Jenni Carlson as a sports writer. Jenni Carlson shouldn't be covering sports if she doesn't know enough about the sports she is covering to write an intelligent article.

If that's the case, then I feel sorry for the people who have to rely on that newspaper to get their local sports news.

I agree with Coach Gundy on this one. Ms. Carlson could have written that story without making it sound like Bobby Reid's mother was still breast feeding him and changing her son's diapers every day. That's how a professional newspaper sports journalist would have written the story. And, that's how a newspaper sports journalist that expected to interview other Oklahoma State football players in the future would have written that story.

If I was Coach Gundy I would do everything in my power to make sure that Jenni Carlson NEVER got a decent interview with any coaches or players on the Oklahoma State football team again. In fact, I would request that the newspaper assign a different reporter to cover the team. That's if the team doesn't decide to boycott the newspaper entirely. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

And as far as Coach Gundy goes, I only wish that I had played for a coach who cared about his players as much as it appears that he does.

I would have to think that this whole issue will help his recruiting in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, Jenni Carlson needs to remember that she is writing about college kids playing a game. She also needs to remember that her livelihood as a sports reporter depends on these same kids. Its OK for her to be critical as long as she doesn't lose sight of the fact that even though these kids may look like men, they are still mostly 18-21 year old kids.

They are still kids! Most of them aren't even old enough to buy alcohol. Some of them, like Bobby Reid, apparently still love their mothers. What the Hell is wrong with that?

Ms. Carlson's whole article just makes me wonder if she doesn't have some kind of unresolved psychological issues that cause her to lash out against others. If so, I wish her the best and I hope she has the inner strength to seek help and try to resolve those issues in a positive manner.

And Jenni if you're reading this, sometimes it helps to just get a big old hug. If you don't have any friends that would be willing to give you one, I bet your mother would help you out if you asked her. Mothers are good for that unconditional love thing. I would just make sure that there aren't any newspaper reporters around when she gives you the hug. Lord knows what some newspaper idiot might write about you if they see you getting a hug from your mother.

No comments: