Sunday, October 14, 2007

And Then There Were Two

New England whips Dallas which leaves only the Patriots and the Colts undefeated. Next week the Colts face a very tough task against a 1 loss Jacksonville team. New England gets to pad their record setting stats next week against 0-6 Miami.

Here are some of my thoughts and observations from NFL week 6:

1) The Patriots looked like the better team against Dallas. But, I was very disappointed in the officiating during the game. It seemed like every time the Cowboys got some momentum there would be a penalty called against them. I'm not saying the Cowboys weren't committing the penalties, I'm just saying the Patriots were holding just as much as the Cowboys but they weren't getting called for it. I actually found myself wondering aloud whether any of the officials on the field were friends of Tim Donaghy. 12 penalties for Dallas and only 5 for New England. Not so much the number of penalties as much as the timing, though.

2) When did the Cleveland Browns become an offensive juggernaut?

3) Brett Favre throws 2 interceptions and the Packers only gain 56 yards on the ground, but Green Bay still manages to beat the Redskins. I'm thinking the Packers could really be dangerous if they ever find a way to establish the running game. I can't wait for week 13 to see Green Bay play Dallas.

4) The Titans lost to Tampa Bay this weekend. If you read my previous post about the possibility of a team going 16-0 this season you will understand the significance of the Titans losing their 2nd game. Now all eyes are on 1 loss Pittsburgh and 1 loss Jacksonville.

5) New England is still the only team in the AFC East to have beaten a team outside of their own Division.

6) Don't look now but San Diego is suddenly tied with Denver for the lead in the AFC West.

7) I think New England is the best team I have seen this season but I also think their defense may be overrated. Cleveland moved the ball pretty easily against New England for 22 first downs and 353 yards last week. This week the Cowboys had times when they moved the ball fairly effortlessly against New England. If Cleveland and Dallas can do it, I'm pretty sure that Indy will be able to do it as well. The question will be whether Indy's defense can stop Tom Brady and the Patriot offense. I can't wait for week 9!

8) The Bears defense isn't good enough this year to overcome their offensive ineptitude. The Vikings rushed for 311 yards on 43 carries against the Bears this weekend. That is a 7.2 yards per rush average.

9) How old is Vinny Testaverde? Vinny joined the Panthers on Wednesday and threw for 206 yards and a touchdown on Sunday. Wow! I wonder how many guys could do that at any age.

10) I'm thinking St. Louis should probably start thinking about who they might take with the number 1 overall pick in next year's draft. I figure its going to come down to the Rams or the Dolphins for the worst record this season, but the Dolphins may actually win a game or 2 because they get to play the Jets one more time and the Bills twice.

11) The Giants against the Falcons on Monday night. Why?

No comments: