Thursday, May 31, 2007

My take on the subject

Wow! All kinds of stuff happening in the sports world. So, I'm going to have to give my opinion on each item.

#1 Kobe Bryant says he wants to be traded. I personally do not think that Kobe really wants to be traded. I think he is frustrated (who can blame him) and he decided to lash out in the media. I honestly think that Kobe is just trying to utilize what little leverage he has in order to force the Lakers to bring in some more talent. I have no idea who he wants the Lakers to try and get, but something tells me that they are looking at Jermaine O'Neal. I'm not a big Jermaine O'Neal fan, but I wouldn't trade Jermaine right now if I were the Pacers. Let's face it, JO is all the Pacers have left. Larry and Donnie have screwed the lineup so bad that there just isn't any reliable talent left on the roster. It doesn't really matter to me though, I jumped off the Pacer bandwagon a long time ago. Go Cavs!!

#2 It is being reported that Billy Donovan has accepted a 5 year 27.5 million dollar offer to become the next head coach of the Orlando Magic. I am a University of Kentucky fan so I would be happy to see Donovan leave Florida for the NBA. That being said, I think this is a horrible move for Donovan. I don't know all the details, but I just don't understand why Billy would take this job. He would have made enough money at Florida. He would have probably won a couple of more championships at Florida. And he definitely would have had streets and buildings named after him at Florida. They probably would have built a statue of him in front of the basketball arena in Gainesville. Oh well, I guess Billy Gillespie will now have a little less competition for those prized recruits next year. That is, if Donovan doesn't change his mind and decide to stay at Florida.

#3 The Pacers announced today that they have hired Jim O'Brien as their next head coach. I personally think that O'Brien is a good coach and I can't wait to see if he can do anything with this roster. I'm just not convinced that he is the right guy for the Pacers. A lot of people within the Pacer organization said that Carlisle rubbed the players the wrong way with his approach to the game. I could be wrong, but O'Brien seems to have a lot in common with Carlisle when it comes to coaching style. Jim may play a more upbeat offensive style, but he is known as a strict disciplinarian who focuses on hustle and defense. I'm pretty sure those are two of the things that the players weren't too fond of with Carlisle. Wasn't Carlisle known as a defensive coach before his Pacers just quit playing defense this year?

#4 Prosecutors say they have enough evidence to indict Michael Vick. Surprise, surprise. Ron Mexico and the infamous water bottle at the airport were just the beginning. I'm starting to think Michael Vick may not be a very nice person. How much longer is it going to take the Falcons to realize that they may have kept the wrong quarterback. Oh sure, the guy is really talented. Just look at all the playoff games and Super Bowls he has won. In my opinion, Michael Vick has cost the Falcons as many games as he has won for them. Is he really worth the money and the headaches? They should have kept Matt Schaub and traded Vick for what they could get when they had the chance. Michael will probably avoid jail, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he is looking at a decent suspension from the NFL. I hope PETA shows up for all the Falcon games this year. I just love seeing those naked women protesting.

No comments: