Friday, June 22, 2007

College Recruiting

I made a joke the other day about Billy Gillespie offering a scholarship to a 3 year old. I made the joke because I thought it was a little crazy for Billy to offer a scholarship to 16 year old Dakotah Euton. Not because I think Dakotah is undeserving. I just think it is getting a little ridiculous when college coaches start offering scholarships to freshmen in high school. I just read a story today that Tim Floyd (head coach at USC) has offered a scholarship to a kid in Illinois who just finished the eighth grade. THE EIGHTH GRADE! What on earth is going on? Where are we going to draw the line? I can't imagine what it would have done to me mentally if I had started receiving scholarship offers when I was 14 years old.

I'm not the only one that thinks this is wrong. Mike Fields wrote a really nice piece today urging Billy to sign one of Richie Farmer's kids. In case you were wondering, Richie's boys are ages 10, 8, and 5. I would recommend you read it if you get a chance. It is a little tongue in cheek, but Mike does do a nice little interview with Richie.

No comments: