Saturday, June 16, 2007

Mike Nifong disbarred!!

This is no surprise to me. I think this is really just the beginning for Mike Nifong. His life is going to change dramatically from this point forward. I think he is looking at some major civil suits from the wrongfully accused Duke players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an investigation into possible civil rights violations. I don't think this guy has a win left in him. I think the best this guy can hope for is "penniless and in prison."

Its stories like the Duke lacrosse case that make me wonder how many innocent people really are in prison. The only reason the Duke case turned out the way it did is because the families of the accused players had the money to hire good lawyers. Just think about how differently this could have turned out if the accused players would not have had the resources to fight the charges.

I'm happy that the charges were dropped against these guys and that Mike Nifong is getting what he deserves. But, there will be no justice in this case until the accuser (Crystal Magnum) gets some punishment for what she has done. I've always said that if it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that an accuser has lied and wrongfully accused someone of a crime, then the accuser should do the same jail time that the wrongfully accused would have faced if they had been wrongfully convicted. I'm not going to fool myself in this case, however. I don't think there is any chance that Ms. Magnum is going to get in any trouble for what she has done. I think at the very least she should face the charges that she would have been facing for public intoxication when the police had originally picked her up after the Duke party. Lets not forget that she didn't say anything about a rape occurring until she realized that she was going to get arrested for public intoxication. Everybody forgot all about Ms. Magnum once she started making up her lies.

No comments: