Friday, June 15, 2007

Hoeppner to miss 2007 season

It was announced today that IU football coach Terry Hoeppner will sit out the 2007 season. Coach Hep is still fighting the brain cancer that has sidelined him 3 times since becoming IU's head coach. Bill Lynch has been named the interim head coach in Hep's absence. Bill has been the assistant head coach at IU since 2005.

I don't know Coach Hep personally but I hear he is one hell of a guy. I do know that he is the best thing that has happened to IU football in a long, long time. My thoughts and prayers go out to Coach Hep and his family. I hope to see him back on the sideline very soon.

I'm not a huge IU football fan, but I hope Bill Lynch does a good job growing the program in Hep's absence. Ball State recruited me when Bill Lynch was head coach there and I wasn't overly impressed with his personality. In fact, I just didn't find him very believable. His personality is one of the reasons I didn't accept a scholarship offer to play there. After my less than stellar college career though, I'm sure that Bill was probably thankful I chose to play elsewhere. I do think that Bill Lynch is capable of coaching IU football. I wish him all the luck in the world.

No comments: