Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Lickliter to Iowa

It was announced yesterday that Butler coach (and current coach of the year in the NCAA) has been named the new head coach at Iowa.

I'm not going to give this too much attention, but I think this was a great hire for Iowa. I'm just not too sure why Lickliter took this job. Todd is originally from Indianapolis, is a Butler graduate, and a former player for the Bulldogs. He was just named the "NABC Coach of the Year," and he goes to Iowa?

Given the recent history of both programs I'm not even sure you can call this a lateral move. I would have thought that the "Coach of the Year" honors would have moved Todd up the list for some bigger jobs. When I say bigger, I mean something a little more prestigious than Iowa. I'm not saying Todd Lickliter was in line for the Kentucky job, but I think he would have more deserving of the UK job than some of the potential names I have heard mentioned. I think this is a huge hire for Iowa and their Athletic Director deserves a pat on the back. I didn't see this coming in a million years.

Iowa must have offered Lickliter a ton of money and a sweet contract. Either that, or Todd really likes cornfields.

Actually I think Iowa is a pretty state. I travel through Iowa every summer and I've often said that Iowa seems like it would be a nice place to live. I wish Todd Lickliter the best and I hope he finds what he was looking for.

No comments: