Friday, April 6, 2007

Gillespie is the man

Its official. Billy Gillespie has been named the head men's basketball coach at UK.

I hadn't been too excited about Gillespie until I did some further research on the guy this morning. After reading about his history I have to say that Mitch hiring him does make some sense. Gillespie doesn't have a long proven track record, but he does have a history of turning programs around rather quickly. He was also the primary guy responsible for the recruiting that made Bill Self successful at Illinois.

Also of note, I found a story this morning that stated that DeAndre Jordan would consider following Gillespie to another school if he left A & M. I'm not saying it is gonna happen, but it does appear to be a possibility.

I say we all give Gillespie 4 or 5 years to see what he can do. If he isn't successful after 5 years, then I think Kentucky should take a hard look at Travis Ford or John Pelphrey. I'm hoping that Gillespie is successful and it doesn't come to that.

No comments: