Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Colts Draft

Well, I was disappointed in the Colts draft again. The Colts effort this year didn't seem as bad as some of their drafts in the past, but I still don't feel like they filled the holes that needed filling.

I'm not gonna complain about drafting Anthony Gonzalez. I love the guy and I think he will be the perfect fit as the slot receiver in the Colts offense. There is no doubt that the Colts offense struggled at times last year because they didn't have a slot receiver that could exploit the middle of opposing defenses. Dallas Clark is an exceptional tight end who runs great routes, but he just isn't fast enough to do the things that a healthy Brandon Stokely could do. Unfortunately, Stokely has struggled through injuries the last couple of years and the Colts decided to let him go this offseason. Gonzalez looks to be the perfect replacement.

All of that said, I still wish the Colts had drafted Posluszny with their first pick. Paul was available, but the Colts chose to go with Gonzalez. As much as the Colts needed a slot receiver, I felt they needed a linebacker more.

When the Colts made the trade to move up to the 42nd pick I was convinced they were going to take Harris (LB) from Michigan. I was overwhelmed with joy at the thought of having Harris on the team. Then, Polian surprised everybody by taking Tony Ugoh (OL) from Arkansas. I still do not understand this pick. I can only guess that Polian was looking to have a future replacement for Tarik Glenn. I guess its a nice idea to be planning for the future, but I think the Colts had immediate needs that should have been addressed first (linebacker).

I thought Bill Polian did a nice job with his next two picks. Daymeion Hughes (CB) was a good pick. The guy apparently ran a slow 40 time (4.65) which dropped his status considerably for the draft. But, he was an All-American at Cal and is definitely a play maker. The guy has football speed and is always in the right place. Let's not forget that your cornerbacks don't have to be super fast in a Cover 2 scheme. I'm still not convinced that Hayden, Jackson, or Jennings are that great at corner. Hughes gives the Colts another option if the other three don't work out.

The Colts fourth pick was Quinn Pitcock (DT) from Ohio State. I am really happy with this pick. Pitcock was also an All-American last year. Pitcock is a 300 pound run stopping machine. This guy never takes off a play. He ran a 4.93 40 at the combine and I think he was a steal at the 98th pick. He will be a perfect fit in the Colts defensive line rotation, especially if Corey Simon is not able to return to the field this year.

The Colts took Brannon Condren (S) from Troy with their fifth pick. I don't know anything about this guy, but I think it was a good idea to take a safety since Bob Sanders is always hurt.

The Colts took Clint Sessions (LB) from Pitt with their sixth pick. Sessions played both inside and outside linebacker at Pitt during his four year career. I wish the Colts would have taken a LB with a higher pick, but I can't complain about them taking Sessions. The guy logged a lot of playing time in college and I was impressed with him every time I saw him. He ran a 4.7 40 at the combine and this is another guy who has football speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets playing time as a rookie. That's not saying much though because he doesn't exactly have too many stellar linebackers in front of him on the depth chart.

The Colts took Roy Hall (WR, Ohio State), Michael Coe (CB, Alabama State), and Keyunta Dawson (DE, Texas Tech) with their last three picks. I can't say much about any of them because I don't know much about them. I watched a lot of Ohio State games the last few years and I don't remember Hall at all. Coe played his first three years at Alabama before transferring to Alabama State to play for his dad, who was coach there. Coe logged a lot of playing time at Alabama before his transfer and he has a lot of speed (4.5). Playing in the SEC probably has him prepared for the NFL. I can't complain about the Colts picking Coe. I know zero about Dawson.

I was disappointed because the Colts didn't take Posluszny or Harris to fill their linebacker needs. But, overall I thought the Colts did pretty well. I still don't understand the Ugoh pick, though.

No comments: