Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 2 Wrap Up & Power Rankings

Wow!!! I am now officially in last place in our "pick 'em" tournament. This week was just awful for me. I was embarrassed when I went 9-7 in Week 1, but I actually went sub .500 for Week 2. Ouch!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I get to my power rankings I have a few random thoughts I would like to share.

1) I am so glad I'm not a San Diego Charger fan. Talk about getting screwed by the referees. Not only did the call probably cost the Chargers the game, it also put them 2 games behind Denver in the AFC West standings. And, it may have cost them any chance they had at a home playoff game this season. But, at least Ed was a big enough man to admit he made a mistake. I know that doesn't make up for the call, but I honestly can't remember the last time a referee screwed up this bad and admitted he was wrong.

2) The Colts offensive line looks absolutely pathetic. All the "so called experts" have been blaming Peyton Manning for the Colts offensive struggles, but the problem is clearly with the offensive line. Peyton simply doesn't have the time he needs to make the throws. The fact that the Colts rank dead last in the NFL in rushing offense should be a clue that the offensive line is to blame for the offensive problems. Manning is actually performing remarkably well compared to the rest of the Indianapolis offense. Have I mentioned lately that I think Ryan Diem is the worst offensive tackle in football?

3) Romeo Crennel is his own worst enemy. I know the Browns have all kinds of injuries on offense and defense. I know the Browns have faced arguably the two best teams in the NFL to start the season. But, Romeo's continued clock mismanagement and ridiculous decision making has me completely baffled. I can't help but wonder what a "good" coach might be able to accomplish with all that talent up in Cleveland.

4) Speaking of the Browns, how much longer is Romeo going to stick with Derek Anderson? Sure, DA shows flashes of competence now and then. But, his continued inconsistency, inaccuracy, and poor decision making is driving me freaking nuts! Brady Quinn might not be any better, but we'll never know for sure if he doesn't get to see any playing time.

5) 21 carries for 164 yards and a touchdown in Week 2. I told you before the season started that Darren McFadden was a guy to watch.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 2 Power Rankings


1) NY Giants:
They are playing like the defending Super Bowl Champs.

2) Dallas Cowboys: The offense looks good, but the defense looks a little shaky.

3) Green Bay Packers: I know they've only beat the Vikings and the Lions, but they looked damn good doing it.

4) Pittsburgh Steelers: Ho Hum, the Steelers keep rolling along. Their win over the Browns wasn't impressive, but the weather has a way of leveling the playing field.

5) Denver Broncos: They probably didn't deserve to beat the Chargers, but they did. And that's all that matters in the end.

6) Philadelphia Eagles: Donovan is back, but the defense is going to have to do better.

7) New England Patriots: Brady Schmady! It is certainly starting to look like even Jim Sorgi could step in and run that offense efficiently. A good defense probably has something to do with it too.

8) Buffalo Bills: On paper, their two wins over Seattle and Jacksonville look pretty good. But, I can't help wondering if maybe they just didn't catch the 'Hawks and the Jags at the right time.

9) Carolina Panthers: They're 2-0, but I'm still not convinced they are a contender. I thought they should have beaten the Bears a little more convincingly.

10) Tennessee Titans: The defense is tough and they recently upgraded at the quarterback position.

No comments: