Saturday, February 23, 2008

Reds Sign Fogg

The Cincinnati Reds have announced the signing of 31 year old Josh Fogg to a one year contract reportedly worth $1 million dollars.

The free agent right hander has been a starting pitcher in the Major Leagues for 7 years, most recently with the Colorado Rockies. It is being reported that Fogg recently turned down a 1 year contract worth $5 million dollars that was offered for him to remain with the Rockies. Fogg has started 179 games in his career and has an overall record of 60-60 with a 4.90 ERA.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Josh Fogg certainly isn't the greatest pitcher to ever put on a Major League uniform, I think this was another great signing by Wayne Krivsky. Fogg has 7 years of big league pitching under his belt and is a proven commodity. I think it would be fair to assume that the Reds have now found their #3 starter behind Harang and Arroyo. I'm not sure if Krivsky is done dealing for pitchers yet, but I think the Reds are definitely looking better on the mound now than they were at any time last year.

Matt Belisle, Homer Bailey, Jeremy Affeldt, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, and Matt Maloney will probably be competing for the final 2 spots in the Reds starting rotation. If I were a betting man, I'd probably place my money on Belisle and Affeldt to at least start the season as the #4 and #5 starters for the Reds. But, I'm sure Volquez will get a strong shot to make the rotation as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: