Monday, February 11, 2008

2008 Pro Bowl

I'm probably one of the few people out there that actually watches the Pro Bowl. Its not that I think it is great football, but I know it will be the last football that I'm going to see for awhile. So, I sat down yesterday and watched the game. There wasn't anything special about the game, but there were a few things that stood out to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Did anybody else notice the dramatic drop-off in the AFC offensive production once Peyton Manning left the game? I'm not sure if the NFC defense just got settled down after the first quarter, but the AFC didn't do much on offense after Peyton left the game.

2) Ben Roethlisberger didn't look great ( 5-9 for 42 yards and a TD), but at least he didn't look as bad as Derek Anderson. Anderson finished the game 10-26 for 103 yards and a interception. It wasn't just Derek's completion percentage that stunk. He was missing receivers by a mile and there was no consistency to his misses. Some passes were short, some were long, and some weren't even in the neighborhood. Maybe it was just nerves, but Derek Anderson definitely looked like he didn't belong in Hawaii.

3) Was Brian Westbrook hurt or something? I can't remember ever watching a Pro Bowl game where one running back was "featured" in the offense as much as Adrian Peterson was featured yesterday. Don't get me wrong, Peterson was the best player on the field. But, how mad would you be if you were Brian Westbrook and you traveled all the way to Hawaii to watch Peterson play almost the entire game? Peterson won the MVP award with 16 carries for 129 yards. Westbrook got 1 carry for 4 yards.

4) Can you imagine how good Terrell Owens could have been in his career if he wasn't a mental basket case and he didn't drop so many passes? He ended up with 8 catches yesterday for 101 yards but he was actually getting booed early in the game when he dropped a couple of easy passes. That guy drops more passes than any receiver I have ever seen.

5) It was nice to see so many Browns in the game. My hat is off to Phil Savage. He has done a great job of drafting up in Cleveland. I thought Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, and Kellen Winslow looked pretty good yesterday. Especially Joe Thomas.

No comments: