Friday, February 8, 2008

Chad Johnson, Shaq Trade, Etc.

This is the time of year that I dread, because all I have to follow is college basketball. Luckily for me, it looks like Billy Gillespie has started to get things turned around in Lexington.

I've been busy at with work the past few weeks and as a result I haven't had much time to post to this blog. So, I've decided to make a short post this morning that covers a few sports related items that have caught my attention over the last few days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The Super Bowl. The Patriots would probably beat the Giants 9 out of 10 times, but the Giants won the game that counts. Poetic justice if you ask me. But don't count the Patriots out next year. New England only has 4 teams on next year's regular season schedule that finished '07 with a winning record. That means there is a pretty good chance that we will see the Pats finish the regular season undefeated again next year.

2) Chad Johnson. I think Chad Johnson is a really talented guy that just doesn't see the big picture. Chad is apparently upset with the Bengals because he thinks some people within the organization have been "speaking out against him." I don't know if Chad's accusations are true, but I imagine they probably are. The Bengals finished the '07 season with a record of 7-9. I'm sure Chad's self promotion is starting to wear thin on a team that needs all the breaks it can get. All of Johnson's excessive celebration penalties are not helping the cause. In a recent interview with the NFL Network Chad says, "I get out of line at times, but what great one doesn't?" Oh I don't know, let me see if I can name a few: Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Emmit Smith, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Tim Duncan, Joe Montana, and Larry Bird. The list goes on and on. Chad seems like a smart guy. I am sure he can find another way to promote himself that doesn't lead to poor field position for the Bengals during their games. Its time Chad grows up and stops being selfish. He will never be considered among the great players of all time until he starts acting like a grown up..

3) Shaquille O'Neal. I understand why the Suns made a trade, I just don't understand why the Suns made this trade. Shaq turns 36 years old next month. The big man missed 42 games last season because of injury, and he has already missed 17 games this season due to injury. He is averaging a career low 14 points a game and the 7'1" behemoth is only getting a little over 7 rebounds a game this season. The Suns needed to get rid of a disgruntled Shawn Marion, but I'm not sure Shaq is going to "fit in" to the Suns' offense. In fact, I'm not sure Shaq will make it past half court when the Suns have the ball on offense. The only things that make sense to me are that Shaq will add a strong defensive presence to the middle for the Suns, and that the Suns weren't going to win the NBA Championship if they didn't make some kind of trade. I'm sure Steve Kerr realized that the window for a Championship was closing with Steve Nash getting older, and this trade was an attempt by Kerr to get a guy who might be able to shut down Tim Duncan in the playoffs this year or next. So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if Kerr made a wise decision. I think he could have gotten a better deal and obtained a guy who fit in to the Suns' offense a little better, but maybe that isn't what he was looking for.

4) Bob Knight. I'm not a Bob Knight fan, but I don't think he is half the "raving lunatic" that most people seem to think he is. The reason that Bob gave for his sudden departure at Texas Tech makes sense to me. If he was planning on leaving after this season anyway, what's the difference? I think it will give Pat a head start on his coaching career. And from what I hear, Pat may need the biggest head start he can get.

5) Roger Clemens/Brian McNamee. I still haven't decided if I believe Roger Clemens is innocent yet, but if McNamee's only evidence is photos and some needles with Roger's DNA on them then I think Roger has nothing to worry about. That kind of evidence can be easily faked. Perhaps it is Brian McNamee who is suddenly worried about going to jail for perjury. Does anybody else think it is strange that these photos and needles didn't show up sooner?

No comments: