Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Legion May Stay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: 12/07/07
It is now being reported that Alex Legion met with Billy Gillespie yesterday (Thursday), and Gillespie told the media later in the day that Legion did tell the coach that he would like to rejoin the team. Gillespie did also confirm that Legion has been released from his scholarship, but he went on to say the door is still open for future discussions with Legion about rejoining the team. Here is the link to the Brett Dawson's story on the subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Well, it now appears that Kentucky freshman Alex Legion may be reconsidering his decision to transfer from the school. Obviously this is a developing story so I will try to keep an eye on it and post anything new that shows up.

Here is the link to the article written by Jerry Tipton of the Lexington Herald-Leader.
Here is the link to the Sports Illustrated story.
Here is the link to a story on the Detroit Free Press.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found an interesting link this morning that might give Alex, and the rest of us, an idea about what it going on at Kentucky. Its a story about Acie Law IV, and how he eventually came to understand Billy Gillespie when they were both at Texas A & M. I have a feeling Acie and Alex may have a few things in common. You can check out the story here. I think it will give everyone an insight into the basketball world of Billy Gillespie. It is a must read if you are a Kentucky fan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do hope that everybody out there will cut Alex some slack on this issue because by all accounts he is a decent kid. I don't pretend to know what is going on behind the scenes at Kentucky, but I am young enough to remember what it was like being 18 years old and stepping into college athletics.

I very nearly transferred during my freshman year because the coaching staff decided very shortly after my arrival that they wanted me to play a position other than the one they recruited me to play. It wouldn't have been such a big deal except for the fact that I signed with that particular school because they were the only college that recruited me to play the position that I actually wanted to play. In the end I decided to stay at the school. Not because I was happy, but because I realized that I wouldn't be playing the position I wanted to play at any other school either. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I probably would have signed with different school to begin with. But, that is a completely different story that I won't bore you with.

I wish Alex the best of luck regardless of what he decides to do. I've been there, and I've done that. I'd love to see Alex stay at Kentucky, but he is the only person who knows if it is the right place for him to be.

No comments: