Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Ball State Apologizes to Thompson

Ball State University has issued an apology to former basketball coach Ronny Thompson after an outside review found "unprofessional behavior" in the University's Athletic Department. The review was conducted by former Supreme Court Justice Myra Selby at the request of the University.

The fact that Ball State felt the need to apologize to Thompson tells me that somebody in the Athletic Department must have done or said something pretty bad. If that is the case, then I truly hope the guilty parties have been punished.

I have not been able to read any of the findings of former Supreme Court Justice Selby's report. I have a feeling that since this was a personnel issue that we may never know the full findings of the report. I can only hope that Selby's report was all-inclusive and that it also addressed some of the "unprofessional behavior" that was reportedly exhibited by coach Thompson. I think it would be an injustice to everyone involved on both sides of the issue if the independent review didn't investigate some of the claims that have been made about coach Thompson's behavior while he was at the University.

If you followed the link above to the Muncie Star Press article, I hope you took the time to read the user comments at the end of the story. If you didn't, you may want to go back and take a look at them. I found them to be very interesting. After reading the comments on the story I think it is pretty obvious that Ronny Thompson doesn't have too many fans in Muncie.

I'll follow up on this issue if anything further develops.

No comments: