Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tony Kornheiser on MNF

OK. I have now watched two preseason MNF games this year. That means that I have now watched Jaworski, Tirico, and Kornheiser twice. I must admit that Jaworski is a huge improvement over Theismann, but Tony Kornheiser just isn't working for me. Last night I almost made it to halftime before I finally gave up and muted the broadcast. That is an improvement over last year, though. I just don't understand why ABC feels like they have to put comedy relief in the broadcasting booth of a sporting event.

Over the last year I have read several articles by so-called "experts" who can't stop talking about how great Tony has been in the MNF booth. I was actually starting to think that maybe I was alone in my dislike for Mr. Kornheiser. Then, this morning I read an article on USAtoday.com that included a fan poll. The poll asked readers to vote on whether they would like to see the broadcast team of Jaworski/Tirico/Kornheiser or the broadcast team of Greenberg/Golic/Ditka do MNF.

The results of the fan poll showed that 77% of the voters would rather see Greenberg/Golic/Ditka do MNF. That's right! Only 23% of the readers voted for the current MNF team of Jaworski/Tirico/Kornheiser. Hmmm. Even I was surprised by those numbers.

The good news for everybody in that 77% is that they will get to see what they are missing on September 10th. That is the night when the NFL and ESPN will present the MNF double header. The usual broadcast team of Jaworski/Tirico/Kornheiser will be in the booth for the first game, then Greenberg/Golic/Ditka will be in the booth for the second game that is scheduled to start at 10:15 PM ET. I'm sure the first game will get higher TV ratings because it will be on the air during prime time and will feature playoff contenders in the Ravens and the Bengals. The second game will feature the lowly Cardinals and the 49ers. It looks like Greenberg/Golic/Ditka will have their work cut out for them just trying to keep the audience awake.

I really hope the reviews are fantastic for Greenberg/Golic/Ditka on September 10th, though. I think I would rather listen to Telemundo soccer commentators do MNF for the rest of this season in Spanish than be forced to listen to Tony Kornheiser for 5 more minutes. I guess I should just be thankful that some genius invented the mute button. Lord knows I'll be putting it to good use again this football season.

No comments: