Monday, August 20, 2007

Michael Vick

UPDATE: Michael Vick has agreed to accept a Plea Deal! Read the story here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNN is reporting that two anonymous sources have told them that Federal Prosecutors have offered Michael Vick a plea agreement that includes a recommended prison sentence of 18-36 months. Apparently Vick's attorneys are trying to negotiate the prison sentence down to less than one year. Sources are also saying that Vick wants assurances that he will not be prosecuted on the state level after entering a plea on the federal level.

You can read the ESPN story here.

I think Michael Vick is completely screwed. I don't see how he can avoid jail time. I don't have any idea what kind of evidence the prosecution has, but I'm willing to bet that it is pretty strong considering the other three defendants have already reached plea agreements. With that said, I'm thinking Vick better shoot for the best deal he can get before the case goes to trial. From what I have been hearing, I just don't see how he could win in court. If the case does go to trial, he would be facing additional federal charges which could greatly increase his potential prison time should he be convicted. Then, in addition, there would also be the possibility that the State of Virginia might prosecute him as well after the federal trial. Like I said, the guy is screwed. In my opinion, Michael Vick should cut his losses and accept his fate.

Regardless of whether Vick decides to plea or go to trial, I think his NFL career is over if this ends in a felony conviction. And if he is convicted of a felony, I doubt very much that Canada will let him enter their country to play in the CFL after he gets out of prison. Canada frowns on letting convicted felons enter their country. The best that Michael could probably hope for after getting out of prison would be the Arena Football League.

No comments: