Friday, June 13, 2008

I'm Back!


Those of you that know me in real life know that my one true love (besides my wife) is fishing. And, if you have been wondering where I have been lately, the answer to that question is Canada!

I just got back from my annual fishing trip to the Great White North. If you like to fish, and you have never been to Canada, you are really missing out. My friends and I do a fly-in every year for a little rest and relaxation. We always go to an outpost cabin up in the middle of nowhere and do nothing but fish and drink for a solid week. I look forward to it every year, and this year was one of the best trips we have ever had. The walleye fishing was a little slow, but we caught tons of smallies and quite a few really nice Northerns.

The picture you see above is the 44 inch, 20 pound monster I caught this year. I pulled her out just below a beautiful little waterfall. She was up there feeding on the suckers that were trying to work their way upstream. I had been throwing various crankbaits up in the falls for about an hour before I finally switched over to a little Chatter Shad. She chased the lure down on my third cast and the fight was on. My buddy Chris managed to net the behemoth the third time I brought her past the boat. But, that was just the beginning of the fight.

Once we got her in the boat she was none too happy. She started rolling like an alligator in the bottom of the boat and wrapped my line so tight around her head that she actually snapped the tip off my Pro Qualifier rod. It was my own fault for laying the rod down over the benches in the 16 foot Aquamarine. I should have known better, but I was trying to secure the fish before she managed to wriggle free of the net. A 44 inch Northern doesn't fit too well in a net! In the end, I won the fight.

In case you were wondering, the Northern is now sitting in the freezer at the taxidermist and the rod has been sent to Bass Pro for repair. It was all worth it as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: