Thursday, March 6, 2008

Joe, Joe, And More Joe!!!

My good friend Aaron made the comment to me at the beginning of the season that he thought Joe Crawford would be the key to Kentucky's success this season. I must admit that I wasn't as optimistic about Kentucky's success this season as Aaron seemed to be. I just didn't think UK was returning enough proven players in the low post to pose a serious threat in the Southeastern Conference or even to make the NCAA Tournament.

When Kentucky lost to Gardner-Webb in their second game of the season, I feared that my prediction for a tough year was going to be proven true. The Wildcats struggled with Coach Gillespie's new system early in the year and seemed completely doomed when they started their conference season. Injuries plagued the team and it seemed like every week the Wildcats had to depend on someone else to help carry the load. The only constant through it all seemed to be Patrick Patterson. The true freshman showed up every night and continued to put up consistent numbers no matter the competition.

Then, an interesting thing happened. The Wildcats, as a team, suddenly seemed to understand what Billy Gillespie wanted them to do. Joe Crawford, who started the season in Coach Gillespie's dog house, suddenly became the team's best all around player. Joe played through injuries and started leading by example with his stellar defensive efforts and his uncanny ability to make a basket when the team really needed it. Ramel Bradley suddenly realized that he was playing a team sport and quit trying to do it all by himself. Perry Stevenson became a reliable shot blocking and rebounding machine, and Ramon Harris suddenly became a consistent player off the bench. Derrick Jasper, although hobbled by injury all season, started making more than just cameo appearances. Jodie Meeks, also injured all season, has played through the pain on more than one occasion to provide some much needed minutes when coach Gillespie had no where else to turn. And even much maligned Michael Porter has given nothing short of maximum effort every time he has been on the floor.

Maximum team effort is what I think has turned this Kentucky team around this year. I know the comparisons have been tossed around by just about everybody, but I'm going to go ahead and say it as well. I've seen a lot of effort put in by a lot of guys wearing Kentucky Blue over the last 10 years, but I don't know that I have seen this kind of effort by an entire team wearing Kentucky Blue since back in the days of the "Unforgettables." I know it is almost sacrilegious to think that any team should be compared to the likes of Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey, Deron Feldhaus, and Sean Woods. But, I can't think of any other Kentucky team in recent history who has overcome and persevered on the same level as this years version of the Boys in Blue. I don't think there is any chance that we will ever see Joe Crawford's or Ramel Bradley's jerseys ever hanging in Rupp Arena, but I know they have already earned a special place in my blue blooded heart.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The latest setback for the Wildcats has been the loss of Patrick Patterson for the remainder of the season. When I first heard the news about Patterson, my initial thought was that any hope Kentucky had for making the NCAA Tournament was surely gone. But, within minutes of hearing the news of Patterson's injury I came to the realization that there was no way this team would give up on their season. They simply had too much grit and too much heart. I knew they might lose all their remaining games, but I also knew they wouldn't give up without a fight. Those guys then went down to Knoxville on Sunday and almost knocked off the number one team in the country without the aforementioned Patterson on the floor. I don't know about anybody else, but I thought for sure that Crawford's jumper was going in as soon as he let it fly. Joe's jumper didn't find its mark and Kentucky didn't win the game, but these "Alley Cats," as they have come to be called, sent a clear message to the rest of the Southeastern Conference and to the NCAA Selection Committee as well.

The 'Cats are back, and win or lose, they're going to leave it all on the floor no matter who the competition happens to be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Carolina was the latest victim of the "Alley Cats" last night. Joe Crawford stole the show with a career high 35 points. I was listening to the game on the radio and actually found myself silently chanting, "Joe, Joe, Joe!" every time Kentucky had the ball. Ramel Bradley chipped in with 20 points as well. But, the Wildcats' team defense again stole the show. The victory over the Gamecocks improved the Wildcats' record to 11-4 in Conference and 17-11 overall. If Kentucky wins their final regular season game against Florida on Sunday afternoon they will finish the Conference schedule as the 2nd place team in the SEC East.

A 2nd place finish in the East would earn the Wildcats a bye in the 1st round of the Conference Tournament. The Wildcats would then have to play the winner of the 1st round SEC Tournament game between the West's #3 team (currently Ole Miss) and the East's #6 team (currently Georgia) in the 2nd round. You can check out the SEC Tournament schedule here.
I'm not sure if the Wildcats have done enough to play themselves into the NCAA Tournament yet, but I think a victory over Florida in their regular season finale and at least one victory in the SEC Tournament should guarantee them a date for the Big Dance. How many people would have predicted that after the Gardner-Webb game? I know I didn't.

When you play as team it doesn't matter what name is on the back of your jersey, all that matters is what name is on the front.

Go Big Blue!

No comments: