Friday, January 11, 2008

NFL Divisional Round Breakdown

I correctly predicted 3 out of 4 games last week. So, I thought I would give it a go for this week's games as well. The Divisional Round of the playoffs is always a little tougher to decipher. All of these games have the potential to be very interesting, but I think the higher seeds will prevail in every game.

1) Seattle at Green Bay: I think this game has the biggest potential for an upset. Seattle coach Mike Holmgren knows the Packers and Brett Favre very well. The Seahawks have a pretty good quarterback in Hasselback and a very fast defense. But, the Seahawks don't have any running game. I think the Packers are too well balanced on offense and defense and will eventually wear down the Seahawks offensive and defensive lines. I think the Packers will pull away and win this game in the 4th quarter. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks might be able to win in a high scoring shootout. I just don't think that will happen.
Winner = Green Bay

2) NY Giants at Dallas:
I think the Cowboys will jump up early in the passing game. I see Jason Witten and Terrell Owens both having huge games. Tony Romo's agility will negate the Giants pass rush and the Cowboy running game will take over in the 2nd half. Eli Manning will come back down to earth once the Giants fall behind early and will probably throw a couple interceptions that will seal the Giants fate. Winner = Dallas

3) Jacksonville at New England:
Jacksonville is a very good football team. But, I think their injuries on the defensive line will be too much for the Jags to overcome. If the Jags were healthy, I think this would be a good football game. But, the Jags aren't healthy and Belichick has had too much time to develop a game plan. I think the Jag defense will shut down the Patriots running game, but I think Tom Brady will come up huge in the passing game. I think this game will be close early with Jacksonville maybe even having the lead into the 2nd half. Jones-Drew and Taylor will probably have big yards on the ground, but in the end I think the Jags will turn the ball over and the Patriots will pull away. Unless, of course, the weather turns nasty. Then, I think the Jags might have the advantage in inclimate weather.
Winner = New England

4) San Diego at Indianapolis:
I know the Chargers beat Indy earlier this season in San Diego, but I don't think this game will even be close. The Colts were missing a lot of key players in the 1st game and they still almost won. Now, the Colts are as healthy as they have been all season. The Chargers have the speed on defense to compete with the Colts, but I think the Colts will fire up the running game and then live off of the play action pass. I look for the Colts to focus their defensive effort on stopping LT and forcing Philip Rivers into throwing the ball more than he wants. Joseph Addai should have a huge game both running and receiving. I also look for Dallas Clark and Anthony Gonzalez to both have good games underneath.
Winner = Indianapolis

No comments: