Wednesday, April 29, 2009

2009 Browns Draft Review

I think we can now officially say the Doug Heffernan (Eric Mangini) era has begun in Cleveland. Over the last few days I have read both good and bad reviews of the 2009 Cleveland Browns draft. I have scoured the internet in an effort to find out everything I can about all the players the Browns drafted and received via trade, and I can honestly say that I have come to the conclusion that Mangini and Kokinis have done a pretty decent job since taking over, and that includes the 2009 draft. Twenty-one different players are on the roster since free agency began two months ago.

On to the draft:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(21) Alex Mack (C) CALIFORNIA
Over the last few days I have read a lot of "draft reviews" that are highly critical of the Browns' decision to take Mack with the 21st overall pick. I will admit that my initial reaction to the Browns trading down was total shock and confusion. But, after doing some research on Alex Mack I can honestly say that I think the Browns did pretty good with their first round pick. Not only did the Browns get arguably the best Center to come out of college in the last 10 years, they also managed to obtain 2 defensive starters in Abram Elam (S) and Kenyon Coleman (DE). Neither Elam or Coleman will probably ever reach All Pro status, but there is no doubt they are both upgrades for a defense that needed a serious overhaul. Mack, on the other hand, could turn out to be this year's Joe Thomas. If you don't think the Center position is important, go take a look at what the Colts offense did last year when Jeff Saturday was out with an injury.

(36) Brian Robiskie (WR) OHIO STATE
I am really excited about this pick. Robiskie wasn't the biggest or fastest Wide Receiver available in this year's draft, but he may be the most ready to play right now. And, he is a homegrown product which virtually ensures that he will be a fan favorite. The guy is an exceptional route runner and usually catches anything that is thrown anywhere close to him. Unfortunately if Derek Anderson wins the starting quarterback job again this season there may not be too many passes actually thrown anywhere close to Robiskie. The knock on Robiskie is that he doesn't like to block. But, I think that is something that can be corrected. The Browns may have drafted him a little high, but I definitely think he fills a need as a potential slot receiver. And he comes from good blood lines, which I think is very underrated.

(50) Mohamed Massaquoi (WR) GEORGIA
If the Browns were looking for a replacement for Braylon Edwards, I think they may have found him. And, I don't mean that in a good way. This really is the only pick the Browns made that left me scratching my head. Massaquoi is a big (6'2" 198 lb.) receiver that possesses great speed and quickness. He put up impressive numbers as a Senior (58 catches, 920 yards, 8 TDs), but his previous three seasons weren't that impressive. In fact, many scouts believe his numbers only increased during his Senior season because opposing defenses were doubling up on freshman phenom A.J. Green. The knocks on Massaquoi are that he drops a LOT of passes, and that he isn't a very polished route runner. It just stuns me that the Browns would draft a receiver that has issues with dropping passes after all they have been through with Braylon Edwards. That said, Massaquoi does show the potential to be a very gifted receiver in the NFL if he ever stops dropping passes.

(52) David Veikune (DL) HAWAII
I think this has the potential to be an interesting pick for the Browns. Veikune played as an undersized DL at Hawaii. At 6'3" and 250 pounds, Veikune is obviously too small to play DL in the NFL. So, the Browns are probably looking at his potential to adjust to the OLB position. The question remains as to whether Veikune is athletic enough to play OLB out in the open field. The guy has the speed and agility that would be required to make a successful switch, but we'll just have to wait and see how it all works out. I like Veikune because he is a maximum effort player. He doesn't stop motoring until the whistle blows. I look for him to be a special teams performer this year, and then possibly work his way into the LB corps for next season.

(104) Kaluka Maiava (LB) USC
I really like this pick for the Browns. Maiava only started one year at USC, but he did play at all four linebacking positions while in college and he was a special teams regular throughout his college career. He didn't garner as much attention as his linebacker teammates at USC, but Maiava always performed well in the games that really mattered. Maiava has the skills required to be an every down linebacker in the NFL. He is quick and decisive, and his pursuit angles are considered to be very good. Most of the scouts were also impressed with his ability to play in the open field both against the run and in pass coverage. The knock on Maiava is that he sometimes has difficulty disengaging from OL if they get into his body. I think this weakness should improve as he physically matures and gains some more core strength. And from the useless information file, I will also tell you that Kaluka is the nephew of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Maybe we'll get to see the Rock at a few Browns games. It appears to me that the Browns found a guy in Maiava that will contribute immediately on special teams, and will probably work his way into the linebacking rotation before the season is over.

(177) Don Carey (CB) NORFOLK STATE
I would like to be able to tell everybody that I have seen this guy play several times, but to be honest I'm not even sure I knew Norfolk State had a football team. The general consensus on Carey seems to be that he has the skills to play in the NFL, but that he probably isn't physically ready yet. This translates into "Don Carey is going to be a project." So, don't expect to see Carey on the field in the near future. But, Carey was a four year starter in college, and apparently he turned quite a few heads during his time at the East-West Shrine game. The biggest asset that most scouts believe Cary has is "potential." The Browns need help at CB, and I think this was a decent value pick even if Carey only becomes a marginal NFL player.

(191) Coye Francies (CB) SAN JOSE STATE
Pretty much everybody seems to agree that Francies has the physical ability to be successful in the NFL. The knock on Francies is that he had some "off the field" issues at Oregon State that eventually led to him transferring to San Jose State. As a result, he only has two years of actual playing time in college. But, he performed very well in postseason all star games and zoomed up many draft boards as a result. Francies has good height at 6'1", but he is considered to be a little light at 185 pounds. Still, Francies has the reputation of being a physical player and a very good tackler. If he can add some muscle weight without losing his speed and quickness, Francies could possibly end up being the shut down corner that Coach Heffernan (Mangini) is looking for. I like this pick, but I don't think we will see Coye on the field this season.

(195) James Davis (RB) CLEMSON
This could be the steal of the draft for the Browns. Davis is a strong character guy that was considered to be a locker room leader in college. If I had to describe his running style, I would call him a poor man's version of a young Jamal Lewis. He is not fast, but he is quick to the hole and has great balance and power. He is also a very good receiver out of the backfield and was quite impressive in college at picking up the blitz when he was asked to stay in the backfield and block. He doesn't have much experience when it comes to playing in bad weather (snow), but it looks on paper like Davis might be exactly the kind of ground and pound back that is needed in the AFC North. I think this was a very high value pick for the Browns, especially if Jamal Lewis starts slowing down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like what the Browns did in the draft this year, and what they have done since Mangini/Kokinis have taken over the reigns. I know that not everybody thinks the Browns draft was very good this year, but I think they may have potentially added four opening day starters (Elam, Coleman, Mack, and Robiskie). And, I think Maiava, Veikune, Francies, Davis, and Massaquoi could possibly all see the field on special teams and in spot situations throughout the season. I don't see how anybody could call that an unsuccessful draft. If I had to give the Browns a grade, I would give them an A-. They managed to draft for several need positions, and I would have given them an A if I thought they had selected a CB that was ready to play now. But, I think they made some very nice selections considering how awful they have done in the past. I've also been very impressed with some of the free agent rookies the Browns have already invited to rookie camp this year.

I'm not saying the Browns are going to make the playoffs this year. But, I think they will definitely show improvement over last season. The biggest issue that needs to be addressed is the quarterback position. I personally think that all the Brady Quinn trade rumors this offseason were just rumors. I'm not saying that I don't think Quinn will be traded before the season starts, but I think Mangini is the kind of coach that wants to make sure who his quarterback is before he trades "the other guy." And, I'm pretty sure that Mangini is also the kind of coach that won't base any major decisions on the flip of a coin. No, he is going to give Brady Quinn a chance to prove his worth, which is something that Romeo Crennel apparently never did.

No comments: