Friday, April 18, 2008

UK News And Other Happenings

Whew! I know I can't be the only one that was a little worried about the head coaching position at Oklahoma State. I didn't really think that Billy Gillespie would leave Kentucky, but stranger things have happened in the past (Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith). I think Oklahoma State ultimately got a nice hire in Travis Ford.

Well, it is starting to look like there may be some truth to the "Derrick Jasper is transferring from UK" rumors. Billy Gillespie briefly discussed the Jasper situation in yesterday's press conference. It appears that Derrick is still homesick for California and has been seriously considering transferring somewhere closer to home. Gillespie said it had nothing to do with playing time, but you have to wonder if Jasper feels at least a little threatened by the types of players that Billy Clyde has been recruiting. For now at least, it appears that Jasper may be leaning more towards leaving. But, I think we should take a wait and see attitude on this one. It will be depressing if Jasper decides to leave because I think he may be the key player next season on the the UK squad.

It looks like Morakinyo Williams probably will be leaving the UK basketball team. Billy Gillespie also discussed this at yesterday's press conference. Williams is a good kid, but I don't think he will ever significantly contribute at UK. It would probably be best for both parties involved if he finds another University to play ball. And, it would open up another scholarship if he leaves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently heard a rumor about Peyton Manning that was a little disturbing. I'm not going to say what the rumor is because it didn't come from what I consider to be a reliable source. It was one of those friend of a friend kind of things. But, I will say the rumor has been gaining steam in the Indy area and I am starting to think there may be some truth to it. I will say that if this rumor is true, it may tarnish his "All-American" image a little bit. If you're a Colts fan you have no reason to worry about his availability or performance next year. The rumor had nothing to do with injury or anything criminal. If the rumor is true, however, I would expect that the story could break any day and probably before the NFL season is scheduled to start.

No comments: